Wheaten Wafers with Smoked Dulse mayonnaise, Burren Balsamics Blood Orange and Cardamom Vinegar Gel, Smoked Salmon, Pickled Red Onion
Preparation Time (mins) 25
Cooking Time (mins) 15
- 45g butter
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon treacle
- 50g oats
- 45g plain four
- 45g whole meal flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 80ml buttermilk
Smoked Dulse Mayonnaise
- 3 Cavanagh egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 150ml rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked dulse
Burren Balsamics Blood Orange and Cardamom Vinegar Gel
- 75ml Burren Balsamics blood orange and cardamom vinegar
- 2 teaspoon ultratex
Pickled Red Onion
- 2 small red onions, peeled and sliced into fine rings
- 50ml water
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 25g sugar
- Salt to taste
- Melt the butter, sugar and treacle together and cool.
- Mix in with the remaining ingredients to make a dough.
- Wrap in cling and chill for half an hour. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper thinly and cut into 12 desired shapes.
- Place on a baking tray, top with another sheet of parchment and another tray and bake in 180oc for 15 minutes. Cool.
Smoked Dulse Mayonnaise Instructions
- Place the egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a jug blender and process for a minute.
- Slowly trickle the oil in the top.
- Add the dulse.
Burren Balsamics Blood Orange and Cardamom Vinegar Gel Instructions
- Whisk to a thick gel
Pickled Red Onion Instructions
- Place the onion rings in a bowl.
- Simmer the water, vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and season to taste.
- Pour over the onions and leave for 20 minutes.
- To assemble - 6 slices smoked salmon cut into 2 slices each
- To Arrange - 2 slices of the salmon onto each wafer. Top with mayonnaise, vinegar gel and some of the pickled onions. Garnish with sprigs of dill or fennel and serve.
Allergy AdviceThis recipe may include:Back To All Recipes