Wee Buns Cookery School- Chicken Soup
Preparation Time 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time 3 hours
- 2 onions
- 4 leeks
- 1 large bunch soup celery (or 1 full head of celery)
- 4 carrots
- 7 waxy potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- Large bunch flat leaf parsley
- 6 – 7 dessert spoons of soup mix (wash well)
- Chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken (ideally organic, free range)
- 1 onion peeled and cut in quarters
- 2 bay leaves
- Few stalks Fresh parsley or thyme
- 6 peppercorns
- Good pinch salt
- Few sticks of celery washed and cut in half
- 7 litres Cold Water
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Begin by making a chicken stock.
- Wash the chicken well and put in a large pan and cover with cold water.
- Add the vegetables, herbs, peppercorns and salt.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for approximately 2 hours. Skim often to remove any scum from the surface.
- Remove the chicken and strain the stock through a fine sieve.
- To make the soup, heat a large pan on a gentle heat and add a good splash of olive oil. Peel and chop the onions finely and add to the pan with a good pinch of salt.
- Wash and chop the celery and carrots finely and add these. Add more oil as needed.
- Peel and chop the garlic finely and add. Then peel and dice the potatoes and add.
- Wash the leeks really well, chop finely and add to the pan.
- Cook on a medium / gentle heat until the vegetables are softened.
- Then add the stock and the soup mix and simmer gently for about an hour.
- Add lots of freshly chopped parsley to finish. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.