Potato Kearney Blue Cheese and Roast Onion Pies
Preparation Time 25 mins
Cooking Time 45 mins
Abernethy Smoked Butter Pastry
- 250g self raising flour
- 125g Abernethy smoked butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 Cavanagh egg
Potato, Blue Cheese and Onion Filling
- 6 medium onions, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- Few sprigs thyme
- 2 King Edward potatoes
- 1 leek, split washed and chopped
- 25g butter
- 100ml double cream
- 100g Kearney Blue cheese, crumbled
Green Salad with Abernethy Brown Butter and Burren Balsamics Apple Dressing
- 1 large Romaine lettuce separated into leaves
- Half a cucumber, peeled and finely sliced
- 50g Abernethy butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 75ml rapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons Burren Balsamics apple vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Rub the flour and butter together to fine crumbs. Add the salt and egg and mix to a dough. Wrap in cling and chill.
- Divide dough in 6. Butter 4 individual metal pie dishes.
- Roll out 4 of the pieces into balls and then thinly to fill the pie dishes. Press into the dishes and fill with parchment paper and baking beans. Trim the edges and add to the remaining pastry.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180oc and remove paper and beans.
Potato, Blue Cheese and Onion Filling Instructions
- Take a sheet of foil and place onions in the middle. Drizzle over the oil, add the thyme, season with salt and gather into a parcel. Roast in a 190oc oven for about 40 minutes or until soft and golden. Cool.
- Peel and cut the potato into 2cm dice and cook until done. Drain well and pat dry.
- Cook the leek in the butter until soft – about 5 minutes. Add the cream and simmer to thicken for 5 minutes. Check seasoning and cool.
- Mix all the cooked onions, leeks and potato together and fold in the cheese. Check seasoning.
- Set oven to 180oc.
- Brush the edges of the pastry in the dish with egg yolk. Spoon pie filling into each. Cut the remaining pastry into four and roll to fit the top.
- Press the edges and trim. Press a knife into the middle and egg wash all over.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Cool for 5 minutes and remove pies from tin.
Green Salad with Abernethy Brown Butter and Burren Balsamics Apple Dressing Instructions
- Place the lettuce and cucumber in a large bowl.
- Cook the butter in a pan until it foams and then add the shallot. Cook until nutty brown and remove from heat into a bowl.
- Whisk in the mustard, vinegar and oil. Check seasoning and toss into the salad greens.
- Serve immediately with the pies.
Allergy AdviceThis recipe may include:Back To All Recipes