Northern Ireland Soup
Let’s start with this basic recipe that is healthy, economical and unique to Northern Ireland.
Made from vegetables grown near the shores of Lough Neagh or Strangford it is unique to us. No other region uses fresh Soup/Herb celery when making broth, even better, when Rick Stein visited Windwhistle Farm, near comber – he said it was his favourite dish!
- 1.5litres of vegetable or chicken stock
- 60g dried soup mix (lentils/peas/barley)
- 350g fresh soup vegetables (carrots, leeks, soup celery and parsley)
- Add the stock to a large saucepan
- Rinse the dried soup mix and add to the stock
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes
- Wash and chop the fresh soup vegetables and add to the stock
- Cook until vegetables are tender
- Season to taste