Preparation Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 10 mins
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, finely chopped and fried
- 500g quality minced beef
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard, (optional)
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 large free-range egg
- Optional (but really tasty) ½ cup of grated cheddar
- Broighter Gold Original Rapeseed Oil
- 1 lettuce (cos, round or baby gem, whichever you prefer)
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- Extra cheese of your choice (brie, cheddar, smoked, blue, whatever takes your fancy!)
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Make or buy the breadcrumbs then tip into a large bowl.
- Add a tbsp of Broighter Gold Original Rapeseed Oil to a frying pan and fry off your onions on a low heat for approx. 5-10 mins (the longer you cook them the more caramelised they will become adding sweetness)
- Add the onions, mustard, soy sauce, egg, grated cheddar and the minced beef to the bowl along with a little seasoning.
- With clean hands, scrunch and mix everything up well. Divide into 6 and pat and mould each piece into a roundish shape, roughly 2cm thick.
- Place the burgers onto a plate, drizzle with some rapeseed oil, then cover and place in the fridge until needed – this will help to firm them up.
- To cook the burgers, preheat a large griddle, frying pan or the BBQ, for 4 minutes on a high heat, then turn the heat down to medium.
- Place the burgers on the griddle, pan or BBQ, then use a spatula to lightly press them down, making sure the burger is in full contact with the pan.
- Cook the burgers for 3 or 4 minutes on each side, depending on how you like them.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry a few small lettuce leaves, slice the tomatoes, peel and finely slice the red onion, then slice the gherkins lengthways as finely as you can.
- Place all the toppings, and the cheese on a platter and put in the middle of the table with plates, cutlery, ketchup and drinks.
- Once cooked, remove the burgers to a plate, halve the burger buns (lightly toasted) and serve up with side salad and french dressing