Photo credits: Miles Willis Photography
Congratulations to Tim Hayward on winning the Restaurant Writing Award (sponsored by FoodNI (Taste of Ulster) and Hannan Meats) at the Guild of Food Writers Awards 2018.
Tim Hayward won his award for his work published in FT Weekend Magazine.
The annual Awards ceremony, held on Monday 18 June at Opera Holland Park, celebrated the best of British food writing and broadcasting.
The prestigious event is organised by the Guild of Food Writers, the UK’s professional association of food writers and broadcasters.
Guild President Xanthe Clay, who presented the Awards, said: ‘The world of food writing and broadcasting is dynamic and diverse, and our winners (from Joanna Blythman and Tim Hayward to Reem Kassis and Meera Sodha) represent the cream of the crop. It’s a perfect precis of what you need to read, watch and listen to this year.’
The Guild presented a Special Award to Anna Hicks the widow of the renowned and universally beloved fruit-and-vegetable expert Charlie Hicks; Charlie died earlier this year and was an inspiration to many in the food world.
The Award Winners are as follows:
- Grand Dishes won the Food Blog Award
- The Food Writing Award went to Joanna Blythman for work published by the Sustainable Food Trust and in The Guardian and Sunday Herald.
- The Campaigning and Investigative Food Work Award went to Foodism: Issue 21 (Sustainability special issue)
- The Cookery Writing Award went to Meera Sodha for work published in The Guardian’s Weekend magazine
- The Food and Travel Award went toTasting Georgia A food and wine journey in the Caucasus by Carla Capalbo(Pallas Athene)
- The Restaurant Writing Award went to Tim Hayward for work pubished in FT Weekend Magazine
- The British Food Award went to Sue Quinn for work published in Dorset Magazine
- The First Book Award went to The Palestinian Table by Reem Kassis (Phaidon)
- The Food Broadcast Award went to food programme Leah Chase: The cook who changed America presented and produced by Dan Saladino (BBC Radio 4)
- The Food Magazine or Selection Award went to Market Life magazine, edited by Mark Riddaway
- The Food Book Award went to The Hungry Empire: How Britain’s Quest for Food shaped the Modern World by Lizzie Collingham (Bodley Head)
- The Cookery Book Award went to The Modern Cook’s Year By Anna Jones (4th Estate)
Charlie Hicks (1957–2018)
Lifetime Achievement Award
Congratulations to all those that won at The Guild of Food Writers Awards.