Whin Bush and Hibiscus Champagne
This recipe is from Paula Mc Intyre, who demonstrated how to create a variety of unusual dishes from common home grown produce and plants at the Garden Gourmet Pavilion at Northern Ireland’s premier gardening event, Garden Show Ireland.
Paula said “It is fantastic to be be involved in this event and promote an area that is so close to my heart. We are surrounded by stunning produce in this country and it is important that we all understand the potential that sits in our own back yards!”
- 750g castor sugar
- 4 dried hibiscus flowers
- 2 pints of whin bush ( gorse) flowers
- 2 lemons, zest and then sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- pinch brewers yeast
- Mix 4 litres of water with the sugar in a clean fermenting bucket and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the whin flowers to the bucket with the hibiscus.
- Add the lemon zest, sliced lemons and vinegar.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave for 2 days.
- If the mixture isnt starting to foam, add a pinch yeast.
- Cover and leave for 5 days.
- Strain through muslin and place in plastic bottles or Grolsch style bottles and seal.
- Open them up regularly so there isnt a gas build up.
- Leave for a week, chill and serve.