Walnut Biscotti with Coconut
It’s #ItalianWeek on tonight’s episode of the Great British Bake Off on Channel 4 and have we got a sweet treat for you!
Biscotti, known also as cantuccini, are Italian almond biscuits that originated in the city of Prato. They are twice-baked, oblong-shaped, dry, crunchy biscuits that are traditionally dipped in a drink known as Vin Santo.
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 110g Abernethy Butter, softened
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Essence
- 2 Clements Eggs
- 440g Mortons Plain Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Duvillaun Fine Foods Salt
- 35g Desiccated Coconut
- 120g Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Stir in the coconut essence and eggs.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, fold in the coconut and walnuts.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll each piece out into a log about 25cm long. Place them on an unprepared baking tray and flatten them until they are about 7.5cm wide.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool on baking tray for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice the logs crosswise into 1.25cm wide slices. Place slices cut side down onto the baking tray.
- Return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, until crisp and light brown. Cool and store in an airtight container.