Venison with Chocolate, Stout and Cherries
This recipe is from Stephen Jeffers from Belfast Cookery School for the Hans Sloane Killyleagh Chocolate Festival.
Preparation Time 24 Hours
Cooking Time 20-25 minutes
- 1 small loin of local deer
- Marinate in Thyme, juniper berries, garlic & star anise
- Broightergold rapeseed oil.
- 200 ml brown chicken stock
- 50ml red wine
- 20 ml stout
- 1/2 tsp cherry jam
- 1/2 zest of orange
- 8 cherries (pitted & sliced)
- 1/2 savoy cabbage (shredded blanched & refreshed)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1/8 celeriac (diced)
- 1/2 sweet potato (diced)
- 1 shallot (sliced)
- 1 clove of garlic (grated)
- 1/2 lemon (zest)
- 25g butter
- Marinate the loin overnight; now bring a non-stick pan to a high heat.
- Season venison well and seal on all sides.
- Place in an oven @200c for 10-15 minutes, rest well before slicing.
- Using a small pot, add wine & stout heat to high temperature and reduce well
- Add chicken stock and reduce by half on a high heat.
- Now add jam & zest infuse for 5 minutes and pass sauce through a sieve.
- Bring sauce to a boil & reduce again now add sliced cherries .
Vegetables InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Place a sauté pan on heat, add butter & oil, now add shallot & garlic sauté until soft.
- Add celeriac, potato & carrot cook over a medium heat until just cooked.
- Now add zest, cabbage and gently heat, season with plenty of black pepper & salt.