This is a recipe from The Cultured Club showcasing local food on the Taste of Ulster TV Kitchen in the NI Food Pavilion at The Balmoral Show 2015
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Servings A good few!
- apple peeled and cored
- Tbsp celtic sea salt
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage.
- Finely shred cabbage and apple. You can use a food processor or a hand shredder.
- Add salt to cabbage and apples.
- Slice orange in thin pieces and place around the outside of the jar or you can just layer them in the jar anywhere.
- Pack cabbage and apples into the jar.
- Cover with water. Leave 2 to 3 inches in the jar for the kraut to expand. Place a lid on the jar and set in a cool place, out of sunlight for 6 days.
- It will expand and bubble. That is the fermentation and lactic acid developing. If the vegetables climb above the water, open the jar and push down the vegetables under the water and seal the jar again. When exposed to air, the cabbage will mold if left like that for a while. It won’t hurt anything if it happens, just scoop out the vegetables above the water and push the other ones down below the water. After 6 days, place in the refrigerator.
- They will last at least 9 months or longer in your fridge.