Seared Beef Oriental Salad
This dish by Paul Rankin mixes Japanese flavours with the classic Italian carpaccio. Try it – we think it works very well! Demonstrated at Legenderry Food Festival 2016
- 500 g (1 Ib 2 oz) beef fillet, trimmed
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60 ml (2 fI oz) Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 30 ml (1 fI oz) vegetable oil
- 2 cos lettuce leaves, finely sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced diagonally
- 2 tbsp pickled ginger
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp black and white sesame seeds, toasted
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Heat a heavy cast-iron frying pan over a high heat until very hot. Season the beef fillet with salt, pepper and oil, and sear in the very hot pan for 1 minute on each side, until charred on the outside but still very rare on the inside. Allow to cool.
- Very thinly slice each fillet and place each piece between 2 sheets of oiled cling-film. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten each piece.
- Mix together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- To serve, arrange 2 or 3 slices of beef on each ". plate and scatter over the garnish. Spoon on the dressing and serve immediately.