Roulade of Chicken Fillet with Black Pudding and Cider Sauce
Steve Dallas from Moy Park showcasing local chicken at the Tesco Taste NI Festival
Preparation Time 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
- 2 x 120g Tesco chicken breast fillets
- 60g black pudding
- 80g Savoy cabbage (shredded)
- 10g butter
- 2 x large carrots - sliced into 5 fine slices for each fillet
- 400ml boiling water
- Smoked bacon to garnish (optional)
- 40ml cider
- 25ml chicken stock
- 25ml double cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Butterfly the chicken fillets. Place cling film over the chicken fillets and flatten out using a rolling pin until they are about 2cm thick.
- Place the black pudding into a bowl and break it down using the back of a fork and spread between the two fillets on the open side of the fillet.
- Take the end of the flattened fillet and tightly roll it into a roulade shape, cover with cling film and wrap tightly into a sausage shape.
- Place the chicken (wrapped in the cling film) into a pot of boiling water and reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (75°C).
- Remove the core from the cabbage, shred the cabbage and place into a pan with butter, add salt and pepper to taste, and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Slice the carrots length wise with a vegetable peeler and blanch in boiling water for 1 minute then remove and dry with some kitchen paper.
- Place the carrots onto a clean chopping board and remove the chicken from water when cooked. Remove from the film and wrap with the sliced carrots.
- Place the chicken in a warm pan and cook until golden brown turning every 30 seconds, remove and place to one side, cover with foil and allow to rest.
Cider Sauce InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- In the pan, add the cider and stock and reduce by three quarters. Add double cream and bring to a gentle simmer - season to taste.
- Place the buttered cabbage into the centre of the plate; slice the chicken and place on top of the cabbage and spoon over sauce.
- To garnish use cooked smoked bacon finely chopped and sprinkle over the chicken.