This recipe is from Paula Mc Intyre, who demonstrated how to create a variety of unusual dishes from common home grown produce and plants at the Garden Gourmet Pavilion at Northern Ireland’s premier gardening event, Garden Show Ireland.
Paula said “It is fantastic to be be involved in this event and promote an area that is so close to my heart. We are surrounded by stunning produce in this country and it is important that we all understand the potential that sits in our own back yards!”
- 1kg rosehips
- 2 litres water
- 1kg sugar
- Top and tail the rosehips and cut in half.
- Shake out as much of the seeds as you can.
- Pulse in a food processor and place in a pan. Cover with 1 litre of the water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain through muslin. Reserve liquid.
- Return the pulp with the remaining liquid and boil for 20 minutes, strain and add to the remaining liquid.
- Return to the pan with the sugar and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Cool and place in sterilized jam jars.