Rice Soup – Third Class Starter
This soup was an economical dish, bulked out with the addition of grains of rice and was produced for the third class. The starter would have been traditionally served with bread and cabin biscuits; although basic and free of luxuries the meal serves its purpose as a filling and nutritious dinner.
- 20g Butter
- 1 Carrot, diced
- ½ Onion, diced
- 1 Parsnip, diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 90g Uncooked Rice, then boil in lightly salted water
- 800ml Chicken Stock
- 30ml Light Soy Sauce
- Seasoning to Taste
- Heat the butter in a large heaving based pan. Add the vegetables and sauté for ten minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, together with the soy sauce, to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender; approximately 15 minutes depending on the size of the dice.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and stir to combine. Top up with boiling water if necessary. Simmer for two minutes and serve.