Pollan on Toast with spiced tomato dressing, pickled and shallot cream
This was demonstrated by Paula McIntyre at the recent River to Lough Festival at The Eel Fishery, Toome.
- 4 pollan fillets, scaled and pin boned
- 8 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 4 shallots
- Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil for cooking
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- pinch turmeric
- salt for seasoning
Spiced Tomato Dressing
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped chilli
- 2 tbsp Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. greek yoghurt
- Thinly slice one of the shallots and pick out 16 rings.
- Boil the vinegar, sugar, mustard and turmeric together. Cool.
- Peel and chop the other shallots in half, toss in oil, season with salt and wrap in tin foil. Bake until soft and then blend. Add the vinegar solution to the shallot rings and pickle for a few minutes.
- Cook the pollen in a little oil until cooked and season with salt.
- Roll the sourdough out with a rolling pin to the same length as the pollen.
- Place the pollen on one side of the bread and spread over some of the shallot cream. Top with another piece of bread, press together and then fry in oil until crisp and golden on each side.
- Drain on kitchen paper and garnish with the shallot rings, spiced tomato dressing and micro leaves.
Spiced Tomato Dressing InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Cook the shallot and garlic in the oil until soft and golden
- Add the chilli and tomatoes. Season with salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup and sugar and simmer until sticky- about 20 minutes
- Cool and blend with the mayonnaise and yoghurt
- Strain through a sieve