Mussels Italian Style
The following recipes are courtesy of Emmett McCourt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 large vine tomato, chopped
- 6tbsp dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 110g/4oz mussels, beards removed (discard any opened mussels that don't close when tapped firmly)
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic, chilli and tomato for two minutes. Add the wine and simmer until the sauce has reduced by half. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the mussels and cover with a lid. Simmer in the liquid for 3-4 minutes until the shells have opened. Discard any mussels with shells that have not opened. Squeeze over the juice from one lemon wedge.
- Lift out the mussels, arrange in a shallow bowl and spoon over the sauce. Garnish with the remaining lemon wedges to serve