A game pie always makes a spectacular centrepiece!
This recipe was provided by James St South
- 1kg of pheasant, pigeon, rabbit and venison, skin off and deboned
- 2 glass red wine
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- 1 onion peeled, chopped
- 1 teasp tomato puree
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablesp picked thyme
- 2 tablesp rapeseed oil
- 1 litre beef stock
- 3 tablesp plain flour
- 25g butter
- 1 egg
- 300-350g puff pastry
- Salt and pepper
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Marinade the game in a bowl with red wine, garlic, thyme, bayleaf and berries covered in clingfilm and place in fridge for up to 2 days beforehand. Once marinade, drain off and keep the marinade to the side.
- Heat the oil in heavy bottom pan until hot.
- Dust the meat lightly with the flour and season and fry off removing from pan once coloured.
- Heat the butter and fry off onion until soft, add carrot and remaining flour, tomato puree and stir for one minute.
- Stir in the marinade then the stock and bring to the boil, add in the meat and simmer for 2 hours until meat tender. The sauce should have a thick consistency and the meat should be braised.
- Once cool transfer to a pie dish discarding the bay leaf.
- Roll out your puff pastry on floured surface and cover pie dish, nipping in at side to form a seal.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg and cut a small slit in centre to let steam escape.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180deg for 30minutes or until skin golden and crisp.