Irish Soda Bread with Walnuts and Seeds
Recipe from Jenny Bristow using Neill’s Flour this recipe will be demonstrated at the Tesco Taste Festival, Custom House Square on 19th September.
Baking your own bread has never been easier and this recipe is packed with powerful energy foods of seeds and nuts. I have used walnuts and a mixture of seeds in this recipe for health and texture, then topped with roasted pear, honey and Brie slices.
- 450g/1 lb Soda Bread self raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 dsp olive oil
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 250ml/½ pt buttermilk
- 50g/2oz walnuts (chopped)
- 25g/1oz mixed seeds
- 2 pears
- 100g/4oz Brie cheese
- 1 dsp honey
- Oven Temp: 200°C/400°F
- Lightly grease a 1 lb loaf tin.
- To make the bread, sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the walnuts, seeds, oil, egg and buttermilk mixing to form a soft dough. No need to knead, transfer to the tin and bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 mins. until golden, risen and firm.
- Remove from the oven and cut into chunky slices and top with grilled or roasted slices of pear, sprinkled with honey and slices of Brie cheese.
- Tip: this bread is also good just eaten on its own without a topping for a great energy power boost.