French Toasted Barmbrack with Caramelised Apples
Love Food Hate Waste. French Toasted Barmbrack with Caramelised Apples, Cinnamon and Sultanas.
- For the toast:
- 8 slices Irwin’s barmbrack, leftover from the weekend!
- 3 large eggs
- 200 mls milk
- 25g (1 oz) caster sugar
- 50g (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- For the apple topping:
- 50g (2oz) unsalted butter
- 2 large apples, quartered, cored and each quarter cut into three slices
- 50g (2 oz) Demerara sugar
- 50g (2 oz) sultanas
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Whisk the eggs, milk and caster sugar together in a large bowl. Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan, over a moderate heat. Dip the sliced barmbrack into the egg mixture and place in the pan, probably four at one time, and fry until golden, then flip to cook on the other side. Place on a warm serving dish and keep warm in the oven.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan until it foams and drop in the apple slices. Fry until golden and then add the Demerara sugar and cinnamon. The sugar will dissolve and form a caramel with the butter to coat the apple slices. Add the sultanas and warm through. Remove the French toast from the oven and top with the apple mixture. Dust with icing sugar and serve.