Dundrum Bay Crab and Parsley Gnocchi, Venetian Spices, Clam and Portavogie Prawn Tail Stock
Recipe from Jim Mulholland from Ballyrobin Country House he will be cooking this recipe at the Tesco Taste Festival.
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 60 minutes
- 225g Kind Edward floury potatoes in their skins
- 80g plain flour
- 1/2 egg beaten (20g)
Portavogie Prawn Stock
- 2 tbsp. Limivady Rapseed oil
- 3g/1 small clove garlic
- 250g shell - on prawns or heads and shells
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300ml water
Venetian Spice Mix
- 1 nutmeg
- pinch coriander seeds
- 4 cloves
- Cinnamon stick
- pinch ground ginger
- seeds of 1 cardamom pod
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 75ml Limivady Rapseed oil
- 1/2 small onion , grated
- 5g/1 clove garlic , grated
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp venetian spice mix
- 300ml prawn stock
- 20g abernathy butter
- small handful flat leaf parsley , finely chopped
- 200g Dundrum Bay white crab meat
- For the gnocchi , first heat the oven to 180oC/ gas 4. Bake the potatoes for 50 minutes unit very soft , then leave to cool. Scoop the flesh from the skins and mash it or pass through a potato ricer. Mix it with flour , 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the egg to make a firm dough .
- Roll the mixture into 1cm sausages , then cut into 2cm lengths . Boil in salted water for 3 minutes , until they rise to the surface , while you start to make the sauce . When cooked , drain and keep warm while finish the sauce.
Portavogie Prawn Stock Instructions
- Make the prawn stock by heating the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat and adding the garlic and the prawn heads and shells .
- Stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding the tomato paste , salt and water .
- Cook for 10 minutes , then pass through a sieve . pushing down on the shells to extract as much of the prawn flavour as you can.
- Discard the shells and set the stock aside.
Crab Sauce InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and sweat the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft , then add the chilli flakes and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the prawn stock , bring to a simmer to reduce down a little , then whisk in a knob of butter.
- Fold in the parsley and crab meat and pour over the cooked gnocchi .