Comber Potato, Asparagus and Mussel Broth
This is a recipe by Danny Miller of Balloo House showcasing local food on the Signature Kitchen in the NI Food Pavilion at The Balmoral Show 2015
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
- 1.25 litre/2 pints 4fl oz chicken stock
- 300g/11oz Comber potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 150g/5oz pearl onions, peeled
- 16 stems asparagus, trimmed
- 600g/1lb 6oz mussels, cleaned
- 75g/3oz butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wheaten bread, to serve
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a saucepan. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, or until nearly tender.
- Add the pearl onions and cook for a further two minutes. Add the asparagus and cook for another two minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Simmer the stock until the volume of liquid has reduced by one-third.
- Check the mussels: if any are open, give them a tap on the work surface and if they don't close, throw them away. Add the clams to the broth, cover and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until all the clams are open.
- Whisk in the butter, then return the vegetables to the pan and warm through. Season with salt (if needed) and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the broth in bowls with crusty bread.
Allergy AdviceThis recipe may include:Back To All Recipes