Chocolate and Potato Fudge Cake
This recipe is from Joery Castle from The Boat House Restuarant which will be featured at the Hans Sloane Killyleagh Chocolate Festival
Preparation Time 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time 60 minutes
- 225g mashed potato (cold)
- 60ml single cream
- 150g butter
- 400g caster sugar
- 110g dark chocolate buttons
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 60ml water
- 5 egg yolks
- 225g flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 100ml single cream
- 100ml double cream
- 15g icing sugar
- 15ml Grappa
- Pre-heat oven to 180oC
- Grease a 12 inch cake tin and line with silicone or greaseproof paper
- Place the potato, cream, butter, sugar, chocolate and cocoa powder in a bowl and melt over a pot of simmering water.
- Mix well until smooth and then add the baking soda, water, egg yolks, flour and baking powder.
- In a seperate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until light and fluffy, (soft peaks).
- Gently fold the egg whites in to the chocolate cake mix and pour the mixture into the pre-lined cake tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes keeping the oven door closed.
- Check the cake by pushing a needle or cocktail stick in to it, if it comes out dry the cake is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and turn out of the cake tin on to a cooling rack.
- Melt the butter and sugar together in a small saucepan and continue cooking until it turns to a light brown caramel.
- Pour in the cream and bring to the boil, remove from the heat and set aside to cool down.
Grappa Cream InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Whip some cream with the icing sugar, pour in the Grappa.
- Use more or less grappa depending on taste.
- To serve, evenly portion the chocolate cake onto 4-6 plates, drizzle with the butterscotch sauce and top with the Grappa cream.