This recipe was provided by Mollie Cunningham for the Ulster Farmers Union and was demonstrated by Mollie at the Belfast Christmas Market to promote buying local fruit and vegetables.
- 2 local leeks
- knob of butter
- 3 tbsp Harnetts rapeseed oil
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Block of cheese for grating
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan and add the butter.
- Chop the leeks into rings and add them to the hot oil and butter. Continue to mix the leeks to ensure they are all covered by butter and oil.
- In another saucepan add the milk, butter and flour and continue whisking to allow the white sauce to thicken.
- Once the white sauce has thickened add a few handfuls of grated cheese.
- Once the leeks have almost cooked add two teaspoons of smoked paprika and then place the leeks into an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the leeks.
- Place an extra handful of grated cheese onto and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.