This recipe was provided by Celebrity Chef Maria Elia and was showcased at Garden Show Ireland 2016
- 350g carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, grated, squeezed of excess water
- 150g feta, crumbled
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp dried mint
- 75g grated Kefalotyri or Parmesan,
- 15g Flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- Micro Coriander-optional
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish, optional
- Plain flour to dust
- Olive oil/sunflower oil for frying
- Pre heat oven to 200/400/Gas 6
- Peel carrots, top and tail and leave whole; drizzle with olive oil and place in a roasting tin. Cook for 30-40 minutes (depending on size of carrots) until al dente, turning half way through
- Leave to cool then grate into a bowl, mix with onion, both cheeses, breadcrumbs, cinnamon and mint, parsley and egg
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and refrigerate mix for an hour to firm up.(The mixture can be made the day before and refrigerated until required).
- Shape into 16 walnut-sized balls and dust in flour.
- You can either shallow fry in olive oil or deep fry in vegetable oil.
- If using olive oil, heat in a frying pan over medium heat, add half the keftedes and fry until golden on either side-approximately 3 minutes, repeat with remaining.
- If deep frying: heat oil to 350F/180C and fry keftedes until golden, approximately 3 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper and serve warm with carrot tabbouleh and tahini yoghurt. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and micro coriander.
Allergy AdviceThis recipe may include:Back To All Recipes