Buttermilk cake with candied strawberries
This buttermilk cake with candied strawberries recipe was provided by Paula McIntyre and was demonstrated at Sea Bangor 2016.
- 190g soft butter
- 330g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 210g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Punnet of strawberries, washed and hulled
- 100g caster sugar
- 100ml rose wine
- Cream for serving
- Set oven to 180 degrees and grease and line an 8 inch tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Mix the flour and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture in two rounds with the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for roughly 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Candied Strawberries InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Heat the sugar in a frying pan and when caramelized add the wine and cook to a syrup. Toss in the strawberries.
- Cool and spoon onto cake.
- Serve with cream