Black bean, tomato and advocado sauce
We are not sure if this dish is a salad or a salsa, but it goes wonderfully with grilled meat and fish, and as the ingredients have Mexican overtones we call it a salsa. It needs to stand for at least half an hour before serving.
- 125 g (4 oz) black beans
- 1½ cloves of garlic
- 1½ tsp salt
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled, de-seeded and cut into dice
- 2 avocados, peeled, stoned and diced
- 1 small red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 jalapeno chillies, sliced
- 4 tbsp cooked fresh or frozen sweetcorn kernels
- 4 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 200 ml (7 fI oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain and bring to the boil in 700 ml (1¼ pt) fresh water with a garlic clove.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until -soft, adding 1 tsp salt 5 minutes before the end.
- Rinse the beans under cold water and discard the garlic.
- Put the beans in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, avocado, onion, chillies, sweetcorn and the remaining finely chopped half clove of garlic and salt.
- Toss in the lemon or lime juice, olive oil and coriander.
- Leave to stand for about 30 minutes before serving.