Apple Scones with Blackberry Compote
This recipe was demonstrated by Diana Porter at the Crawfordsburn Autumn Festival. Recipe is from BBC Good Food.
Preparation Time 15 minutes
Cooking Time 20 minutes
- 225g self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g butter
- 4 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 125ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- clotted cream and fresh or defrosted blackberry compote
Main InstructionsBack To All Recipes
- Heat oven to 220C / 200C fan (gas 7).
- Tip flour into large bowl with butter and rub together using fingers until mix looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon, add apple and and mix together.
- Pour in milk and stir it in quickly, then fold dough over 2-3 times until a little smoother.
- Tip onto a lightly floured surface; pat into a round about 3cm deep.
- Dip a 6cm cutter into some flour then cut out scones, flouring the cutter each time.
- Squash offcuts lightly back into a round and repeat until all dough is used up.
- Brush with a little milk then place onto a lightly floured baking sheet and bake for 18-20 mins until risen and golden.
- Allow to cool on tray.
- To serve, split scones then spread with a dollop of clotted cream and a spoonful of blackberry compote.